Tuesday, July 14, 2015

July 12, 2015 7th Sunday After Pentecost

Amos 5:21-24  (The Message)

21 "I can't stand your religious meetings. I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions. 22 I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals. I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making. 23 I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music. When was the last time you sang to me? 24 Do you know what I want? I want justice - oceans of it. I want fairness - rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want.

Amos’ words had a bite to them which left him less than popular.
He spoke the truth no matter how much it hurt.  He didn’t do it to get rich; he had a sense of calling and mission.  He did it because the Spirit of God compelled him to do it!  And he was asked to “go away to the land of Judah”…to get out of the country lest he disturb the comfortable.

God interrupted his life and compelled him to speak a word of truth.

We need a prophet like Amos today, lest we are lulled to sleep in our idolatries and injustices!  We need to be confronted with the evil in our midst - even in our lives - lest we are deceived into thinking that we know God’s will for all things and know what is best for all people.






It’s hard do be humble, and to face the truth of our own prejudices, hypocrisy, self-righteousness.  Yet it is only as we do that the Word of God transforms our lives and turns us into instruments of grace in a world of hate.








Prayer thought for the week:  “Lord, keep me humble so I don’t miss opportunities for grace in a far from perfect world.  Help me remember that I need grace first, last, and always.”














No comments:

Post a Comment