Sunday, August 27, 2017

August 27, 2017 12th of Pentecost

Matthew 16:13-20  (The Message)

13 When Jesus arrived in the villages of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "What are people saying about who the Son of Man is?" 14 They replied, "Some think he is John the Baptizer, some say Elijah, some Jeremiah or one of the other prophets." 15 He pressed them, "And how about you? Who do you say I am?" 16 Simon Peter said, "You're the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God." 17 Jesus came back, "God bless you, Simon, son of Jonah! You didn't get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am.

“The genius of the poet is that he says more than he knows.”
The genius of faith is that it says more than it knows - always!
God is unsearchable and incomprehensible;  grace goes beyond human understanding and logic.  Faith is believing more then we can ever know.

Peter was saying more then he knew when he confessed Jesus as “the Christ, the Son of the living God.”  The words came strangely to his lips from beyond his own understanding.  It is so also with us,  as Luther wrote long ago: “I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in my Lord Jesus Christ or come to him...”

Faith is not having all the answers to the riddle of life;  not never having to doubt again; or be perplexed about things; or afraid; or confused; or ever having to feel lost again.  It is not a magical formula which takes away all the hurt, pain, and fear out of life.

Faith is the God given capacity to hope when all looks hopeless; laugh when much is heavy; dance when there is little reason to dance; pray when God seems far away and not tuned in.  It is the God given capacity to list all the reasons why there is no God, and yet...and yet believe in God!

It is the sure and certain hope that God is for is, not against us.  No matter what!








“I believe in the Sun, even when it is not shining.
I believe in Love even when I feel it notI believe in God even when He is silent”

Found on a cellar wall
in Cologne after WWII.








Prayer thoughts for the week:

Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.
…help me hold on when I feel there is seems to be nothing to hold on to.
…help me remember and dare believe that when all seems lost,
             You are still with me.
…keep me mindful of your awesome grace: that You are always with me,    
for me, by me, in me.  Never against me!


No comments:

Post a Comment