Sunday, October 29, 2017

Oct. 29, 2017 Reformation Sunday

Oct. 29, 2017  Reformation Sunday

On this the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation my posting is going to be a selection of quotes by Martin Luther.

When Luther nailed the 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg church (Oct.. 31, 1517)
he started what became the biggest revolution in the history of the world, religiously, economically, and even politically.  His words echo down through the years and have been a rally cry for freedom of religion “ I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against
conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen.”

For centuries Reformation Day was a time to attack the Catholic Church and beat the drum for Luther’s three major emphasis :  the Word Alone, Faith Alone, The Priesthood of all Believers.

Today we find Reformation Sunday being observed in the Catholic Church (maybe not celebrated but at least recognized) and there has been great progress in seeking unity in the whole church.  Pope Francis even attended the opening commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation in Lund, Sweden.
So Luther’s words about the Pope being the “anti-Christ” are not worth remembering.
As are his words about the Jews, for which the Lutheran Church some years ago made formal apology to the Jewish people.

But many of his words are worth remembering for they speak to our life of faith today.
So here are some I find both helpful and inspirational.

Lets start with what I had to memorize in confirmation - long before I knew I was going to be a pastor.  The meaning to the  Second Article of Creed.

“I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity.
This is most certainly true.”

Now to some Luther quotes to cherish in the life of faith.

“Forgiveness is God's command. “

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Every man (person) must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying.“

“Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.”

“Faith is permitting ourselves to be seized by the things we do not see.“

“The Bible is the cradle wherein Christ is laid. “

“Nobody is in this life is nearer God than those who hate and blaspheme him. He has no more dear children then they.”

“There is more honest faith in doubt than all the creeds of Christendom.”

“To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”

“Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.”

“If I am not allowed to laugh in heaven, I don't want to go there.”

“Pray, and let God worry.”















Prayer thought for the week:  “Ah, dearest Jesus, Holy Child,
Make thee a bed, soft undefiled
Within my heart, that it may be,
A quiet chamber kept for thee.”
Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment