Sunday, May 6, 2018

May 6, 2018 Sixth Sunday of Easter

 John 15:9, 12-15, 17  (The Message)
9 "I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love…12 This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you.  13 This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. 14 You are my friends when you do the things I command you. 15 I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father… 17 "But remember the root command: Love one another.

God is love.  This is the first, the last, and the best we can say about God.  This is the bedrock of our faith.  This is enough to live on and enough to die on.
Alan Jones, in “Soul Making” has a chapter titled “Love: God’s Wild Card.”
Here are a couple of quotes from that chapter.

“All I know is that love of some kind has got hold of me and will not let me go.  That is why I describe myself as a believer and put up with the embarrassment of being seen in some dreadful company.  And I am grateful for the many people (both friends and strangers) who don’t mind being seen with me!”  p. 127

“I began to happen in a new way (my soul comes to life) when someone says, ‘Alan, sometimes you’re a mess, often your infuriating, and I love you!’  The soul cannot breath when a persons says, ‘there are some problems we have to iron out - in fact, you’re the major one - before I can tell whether I love you or not.’”  p. 134

God is love.  And God’s love is unconditional.  It is always waiting for us to open our hearts and let it have at us.  Then we also can love one another in a powerful and life giving way.






“God is love.  This is the first, the last,
and the best we can say about God.”








Prayer thought for the week:  “Lord, let your love fill my heart and be expressed in my deeds.”





No comments:

Post a Comment