Sunday, June 16, 2019

June 16, 2019 Holy Trinity Sunday

John 16:12-15  (The Message)

12-15 “I still have many things to tell you, but you can’t handle them now. But when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is. He won’t draw attention to himself, but will make sense out of what is about to happen and, indeed,
out of all that I have done and said. He will honor me; he will take from me and deliver it to you. Everything the Father has is also mine. That is why I’ve said, ‘He takes from me and delivers to you.’”

If I go fishing in Canada,  I want a guide with me but I do not want the guide fishing for me.
 Even if I lose the big one.

Life is like fishing - we often need a guide but the guide cannot live for us.

For life is something we discover in the process of living.
We learn as we live.
We have to experience what we know before we can know it.
We often have to be vulnerable to discover what we don’t know.

Faith is like this too.  The Friend (Holy Spirit) guides us into the truth of that which we could never discover by ourselves.  As we live by faith,  we discover something of what it all means - yet the mystery is far beyond our wildest imagination.  It is always ‘yonder’.




 “She was a believer and knew -
so much of what she believed
was yonder - always yonder.”
Carl Sandberg on Lincoln’s mother








Prayer thought for the week:  “Lord, guide me into that which is beyond my wildest dreams, so I can discover something which is ‘always yonder’.”

No comments:

Post a Comment