Sunday, April 19, 2020

April 19, 2020 Easter 2

John 20:19, 24 - 29 (The Message)

19 Later on that day, the disciples had gathered together, but, fearful of the Jews, had locked all the doors in the house. Jesus entered, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you. 24 But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master." But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it." 26 Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you." 27 Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe." 28 Thomas said, "My Master! My God!" 29 Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing."

Be a doubting Thomas!
It is a part of healthy faith. For doubting is a part of believing.
 Luther: “There is more faith in honest doubt then all the creeds of Christendom.”

Be a doubting Thomas!
It will keep you honest and open to change; open to Gods will for your life.
It will keep you humble - you will not get so easily caught in the idolatry of certainty.

“Whether your faith is that there is a God, or that there is not a God,
 if you don't have any doubts you are either kidding yourself or asleep.
 Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith. They keep it awake and moving.”
                                                       Frederick Buechner

Be a doubting Thomas!
For our doubts open us to the miracle of faith happening in us as it did in Thomas.
We don't believe by our own reason or strength...we believe by the power of the Holy Spirit at work in us. Our doubts lead us to faith.

“In a world where there is no room for doubt, ambiguity, or questioning, there is no room for genuine faith.”           Alan Jones



"Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith.
They keep it awake and moving."
 Buechner





Prayer thought for the week:  “Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief.  Keep me moving in faith even with all my doubts.”


No comments:

Post a Comment