Sunday, May 16, 2021

May 16, 2021 Seventh Sunday of Easter

John 17:14-19  (The Message)

14 I (Jesus) gave them (the disciples) your word; The godless world hated them because of it, Because they didn't join the world's ways, 15 Just as I didn't join the world's ways. I'm not asking that you take them out of the world But that you guard them from the Evil One. 16 They are no more defined by the world Than I am defined by the world. 17 Make them holy - consecrated - with the truth; Your word is consecrating truth. 18 In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world. 19 I'm consecrating myself for their sakes So they'll be truth-consecrated in their mission.


The story is told of a Norwegian pastor who, during the German occupation of World War II was called into the Gestapo Headquarters for interrogation.  Before the Gestapo officer began he took his Luger out and placed in on the desk.  Immediately the pastor pulled out his Bible and placed in beside the Luger.  “Why did you do that?” the officer asked.  “You put your weapon on the table, I did too!”, replied the Pastor.


The Bible is our weapon - not for evil but for good.  To be sanctified in it’s truth is to live in love and compassion, not hatred and condemnation.  We are to  dare risk loving rather than hating for loving is a more difficult and profound emotion.  It can do what nothing else can do!


Martin Luther King in Strength to Love:  

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.

Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. 

Hatred darkens life; loved illumines it.



“We need to spend more time in God’s Word.  

Not to be better informed of God’s’ Word, 

but to be better formed by God’s Word.”






Prayer thought for the week:  “Lord, forgive me for neglecting Your Word

as a lamp for my living.  Open my heart to the light of your Word, so I can be formed by it.”  


No comments:

Post a Comment