Sunday, August 1, 2021

Aug. 1 2021 10th Sunday After Pentecost

John 6:26,27,35  (The Message)

26 Jesus answered, "You've come looking for me not because you saw God in my actions but because I fed you, filled your stomachs - and for free. 27 "Don't waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides. He and what he does are guaranteed by God the Father to last."35 Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. 

The people in our text were looking for the easy way out.  They had a free meal (the feeding of the 5000) and they wanted more  free meals;  a life without difficulty, pain, suffering.  They came to Jesus for the wrong thing.

They wanted Jesus “not because (they) saw signs, but because (they) ate their fill of the loaves.”

They wanted Jesus for the wrong reason - and so often do we.

We come not because we want to be “renewed in our spirit”.    

We come because we want to have our bases covered. 

We want Jesus as an insurance policy against bad things happening to us.


But this is not how it is with Jesus.  God did not send Jesus to dwell among us so life could be a bed of roses.  God sent Jesus to dwell among us so that life could be different - strangely, powerfully, eternally different!  For strange as it may sound it is true:  “The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever.” 






“I am the Bread of Life.               

The person who aligns with me 

hungers no more and thirsts no 

more, ever. “  Jesus






Prayer thought for the week:  “Lord, feed me with your eternal love so I hunger or thirst no more, ever.”



No comments:

Post a Comment