Sunday, May 10, 2020

May 10, 2020 Easter 5

John 14:1-7  (The Promise)

1 "Don't let this throw you. You trust God, don't you? Trust me. 2 There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. If that weren't so, would I have told you that I'm on my way to get a room ready for you? 3 And if I'm on my way to get your room ready, I'll come back and get you so you can live where I live. 4 And you already know the road I'm taking." 5 Thomas said, "Master, we have no idea where you're going. How do you expect us to know the road?" 6 Jesus said, "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me.

Even with words we have heard many times, we must listen for what we have never heard before.  And with words we know,  we must listen for the unknown  

The words of John 14, which we often use to make an exclusive defense for Christianity, were spoken in a powerfully intimate moment.  They are not meant to be used as a smug statement of egotistical arrogance, but an expression of the extent of God’s love.

We are not called to save people; that is God’s task.  We are called to love people, as God has loved us. This is the greater work we are to do - trust in and live out the way of love over hate, the truth of forgiveness over condemnation, and the life of faith which dares keep compassion at the center of life.

"Perhaps Christianity has more to do with being redemptively human than being superhumanly spiritual.  It involves the conversion, not from human being to spiritual hero, but from inhuman to human.  God will be known in and through our humanity."  William E. Peatman, National Catholic Reporter





"Perhaps Christianity has more to do
with being redemptively human
than being superhumanly spiritual.”

 William E. Peatman










Prayer thought for the week:   “Lord, help me remember that to be spiritual is to be really human in acts of kindness and compassion.  Even wearing masks!”

No comments:

Post a Comment